Topband:

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband:
From: herbs@vitelcom.net (Herbert Schoenbohm)
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 16:01:48 -0400
Ian,  It is my experience when changing from 1/4 wave top loaded Marconi to a
3/8 wave inverted L, one looses significant low angle radiation making it more
difficult to work DX greater than 3000 miles. (This assumes that the vertical
portion is between 40 and 50 feet)  The 3/8 wave inverted L (40 foot vertical
and 145 feet horizontal generally), series tuned to resonance, is a great
antenna for local rag chewing.  It is a poorer choice, in my view.  I don't know
of any serious top band DX-ers that would favor the inverted L 3/8 wave antenna
over the classic 1/4 wave Marconi L or preferably the T.  I believe the EZNEC
plots confirms this.

73

Herb KV4FZ