Topband: RX input impedance

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: RX input impedance
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 06:21:20 -0500
Hi Ford,

> I just used the Autek VA-1 to measure the input impedance of the
> receiver port on my IC-746.

The results might not be accurate. The VA-1 can overload the RF
stage, and that will normally change the impedance.

> My question is, do I care?  More important, should I care?

I care here, because:

1.) I use narrow selectivity and external noise power is directly
proportional to BW.

2.) I use splitters, and they must be somewhat correctly terminated
terminated or one receiver "hogs signal" and will change the level in
other receivers.

3.) I already have a marginal change in noise when I remove the
antennas and replace them with a termination during some
operating conditions when I expect to operate.

You might not care.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com