Topband: Re: [160M] USA 160 meter News

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Re: [160M] USA 160 meter News
From: les@highnoonfilm.com (Les Rayburn)
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 05:10:23 -0800
Fellow Topbanders,

While I respect Tom Rauch, and generally agree with his views...I must
disagree with his comments
regarding the proposed STA that would allow for low powered beacons to
operate on 160 Meters.

First of all, the proposed frequency range for these beacons would be from
1999khz to 2000khz..
a part of the band that is little used, and almost never sees any CW
activity. Most of these
beacons would run in QRSS mode, which is basically CW sent very
slowly...these low powered
signals are then detected using spectrum analyzer programs like Spectran.
This efficiently allows
these signals to be copied well below the noise level.

Two such beacons have been operating in this slice of the spectrum for most
of the past month,
(in attended operations with control operators present) and not a single
case of QRM or interference
has been reported. Most amateurs would be totally unaware of their presence.

These techniques have been pioneered on the 1750 Meter band, and represent
some of the best
recent work in weak signal, narrow band communications. For those who would
like to be better
informed before commenting, I suggest looking at the following site to see
what the "Lowfers"
and "Medfers" have been up to lately:

http://www.highnoonfilm.com/xmgr

My other concern is the tone of Tom's comments, which suggest that those
who wish to pursue
other parts of the hobby, such as weak signal receptions, are somehow less
valid that those
who wish to chase DX, or operate in contests.

It is in the best interest of the future of ham radio for all of us to be
tolerate of each other, but also to
encourage those who are making contributions to the radio arts. Digital
modes, weak signal techniques,
propagation studies, etc. all help to justify our use of this valuable
spectrum.

160 Meters is not a fort to be defended, especially considering that most
of the people who are
actively seeking this STA are also extra class hams, with years of
operating on Top Band. It simply
does not make good sense to attack every proposal that is put forth.

I would submit that chasing DX, contesting, paperchasing, etc. are all fine
ham activities...
and worthy of consideration. But I doubt you'd convince many in Washington
that they
needed to be protected. Only by maintaining our leadership role can we hope
to retain
our frequencies.

Tom, you and others may not think much of a bunch of geeks trying to send
100 mw signals
out to great distances using all manner of techniques to accomplish the
feat. But for some of us,
this is fun stuff. Isn't that what it's all about...having fun?

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF

P.S.  de W4ZV...OK there are the two sides to this issue.  If you want
to participate in this debate, 160m@qth.net is the place to do it!