Topband: Conditions in ARRL CW

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Conditions in ARRL CW
From: btippett@alum.mit.edu (Bill Tippett)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 12:21:41 +0000
        I was amazed when I listened on 160 after 10 meters died around
03 UTC on 2/17...it sounded like old times at the sunspot minimum!  I
sometimes find it hard to correlate WWV numbers with conditions, but
take a look at this data from http://www.dxlc.com/solar/indices.html

Boulder K-indices (WWV numbers at 3 hour intervals):
16 Feb  01011212 (sum = 8)
17 Feb  00011211 (sum = 6)
18 Feb  10001211 (sum = 6)

Solar Flux:
16 Feb  129.6
17 Feb  129.8
18 Feb  132.0

        Both of these number sets are VERY low for this part of the
cycle.  It is definitely beginning to look like the peak for Cycle 23
(Smoothed Sunspot Number) was in April 2000.  Not good news for 10
meters but great news for Topbanders!

                                                73,  Bill  W4ZV

P.S. Watch March 15 for a possible repeat of these conditions.