Topband: 160m Conditions last night!

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160m Conditions last night!
From: n4uk@mindspring.com (Ken Ramirez)
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 10:30:53 -0000
               Got on topband last night around 10:00 PM and was greeted to
the best lowband conditions I have ever experienced. There were 5 different
UA6/3 stations CQing in and around the window with a few of them 589.I
easily worked 3 of them. The band then moved West and I worked 3 loud SV
stations,  T99T, a 9A, a pair of LYs, and a loud ZS6UT.One of the SV
stations was 10 db over S9! Then the band opened to Western Europe and I
heard lots of the usual loud guys. The strangest part of all of this was
that I had the band all to myself. Every time I heard someone call CQ I was
the only one who responded. After I signed with each DX station I heard
nobody else call any of the stations. The only other station I heard
occasionally was W8LRL.   3G0Y was also a good s7 or better but was working
EU only (unfortunately).  I saw that the A index was 17 and since none of
the usual Northeast stations were around I'm wondering if the absorption
was so high that only the Southeast was privvy to the great conditions.
Where was the rest of the country?

73 Ken N4UK