Topband: ZL3REX

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: ZL3REX
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 11:22:56 -0500
N5RG:
> I worked ZL3REX for a new on 160 this morning. (March 23). I need some
> help with QSL info for him. I have checked Buckmaster, QRZ etc. His

Rex was ZL2REX, but his prefix was changed a few years ago to
more accurately reflect the fact he lives on the South Island. Any
ZL2REX address is good.

Rex is a good example of ingenuity and persistence. He uses a
simple Inverted L (30 or so buried radials) supported by a large tree
(and uses low power) from an inland area in a valley mostly
surrounded by high mountains.  It is amazing to stand back at a
distance and look at Muchensen, NZ. One tall tree dwarfs all other
trees in the area... and a 160 operator is lucky enough to have it in
the middle of an empty field behind his house!

This morning Rex worked HC2/UA4WAE, and he often works
eastern Europe (which is about as far away as it gets from him).

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com