Topband: Elevated Radials

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Elevated Radials
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 10:54:22 -0400
Hi Joe,

Some subjects will never die, and never be resolved. This is one of
them.

I measured elevated radials at two locations, and found four
elevated radials were about 5 dB weaker than 60 radials on the
ground at each location. That isn't a major change, but it was
enough for me to not even consider a more simple ground.

Other people have measured similar differences.

The problem is most of us would never notice something as small
as 5 dB in over-the-air results. It would be lost in the clutter of
everything else that changes from location to location and moment
to moment. It would only show up where the signal was marginal,
and you needed that last 5 dB. Signals waddle around 10 dB or
more with QSB, so how can we sort out 5 dB when a signal is S-9?

Now if it was 20 dB of difference, there would be no argument!
Everyone would always agree, because the signal change would
exceed propagation changes or site differences.

Even ignoring the FS differences, I don't want extra wires hanging
in the air. I don't want it for lightning reasons, RFI reasons, or for
mechanical reasons.

The best idea for radials or antennas is to do what makes you
happy. You'll rarely get a unified answer from a large group of
random people.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com