Topband: Prospective QTH evaluations

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Prospective QTH evaluations
From: W9UCW@aol.com (W9UCW@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 09:06:26 EDT
When we were looking at properties here in the Lower Rio Grande Valley 12
years ago, we used our own vehicle to go to each site (much to the
disappointment of the realtors) because we had an extensive HF mobile set-up
in it. The rig was used heavily on several bands to evaluate any site we were
otherwise interested in. It proved to be an important aid using the big
resonant antennas, and circling each site. Certainly not  the ultimate, but
it was a lot easier than putting up beverages.
Over the years, new noises have come and been solved, but the original
evaluation has held, comparing other spots in the area. And, on the subject
of proximity to the sea, we see something completely at odds with Herb in St.
Croix. We are 25 miles inland but we have long periods (months sometimes) of
dry, very windy WX, and the salt air builds up to the point that noise covers
the bands completely. The first heavy rain takes care of it for a month or
so. A place near the sea that gets regular showers probably wouldn't
experience this. of course, in about 15 trips to San Andres over the years,
it never quieted down, even with rain every day or so. But that was because
the power "distrbution" system was put in by two guys  with a pair of
channel-locs.....equipment and procedures are big factors in any area's noise
profile.

73's, Barry, W9UCW