Topband: AA6TT finally moves to Vermont; 160m 4-square question

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: AA6TT finally moves to Vermont; 160m 4-square question
From: k8do" <k8do@email.msn.com (k8do)
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 15:46:05 -0400
I would suggest a hat as opposed to a stinger...  I use a pair of ten foot,
0.5" copper pipe in a cross configuration... Aluminum emt tubing will
work...You will need either 12 or 13 tower sections for resonance... I would
start with 12 sections and the top hat and measure the resonant frequency...
I would shoot for resonance near the top of the band, then a small coil on
the input with a pair of relays will allow resonating to the band segment
you are in, bottom - middle - top... This will help maintain the pattern as
you move across the band...

BTW, there is no rule that says that you can't scrounge damaged tower
sections, use them for the top ten feet above the guys and saw them off to
resonance... Much better than a floppy stinger... Just a hint...

I'm a believer in parasitic operation, though I am tempted to try the Array
Solution phasing set up next time around (which is now as I'm making the sub
assemblies for an 80M square right now)

Cheers  ...  Denny