Topband: 160m 4-square continued

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160m 4-square continued
From: Bill@aa6tt.com (William Hein, AA6TT)
Date: 27 Jun 2001 11:29:04 -0700
Thank you to everyone who has sent me information re 160m 4-squares.

I will relate some of the information I've received here and solicit further
comment from the Topband world.

I would like to use an elevated radial system on my 160m 4-square, so I am
thinking hard about how high to elevate the Rohn 25 insulating sections.
Extensive ground radials would be problematic given the amount of brush I have
in the field where the four square will be.

Jay at Array Solutions (I am going to use his 4-square box) suggests that I
take the insulated bases up to about 1/10th wavelength, 50-ft or so if I am not
going to go with ground radials.  And that I use at least 8 elevated radials
per vertical.  And ground the tower thru a choke for lightning protection.

Jay also said it's a good idea to keep the elevated bases roughly in the same
plane, say within 10-ft or so.  The ground where the four square will goes
slopes roughly 10- to 20-ft within the space of one 4-square leg.  Thus some
towers may require more tower underneath the insulator than others to satisfy
this requirement.

Comments?

William H. Hein, AA6TT
10 Clark Road