Topband: Best Radio???

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Best Radio???
From: gjerning@flash.net (ARNE GJERNING)
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 21:27:53 -0600
As promised here is summary of e-mails I received from 20 responses:

FT-1000D          9 votes
FT-1000MP/MK V    4 first and 2ea 2nd place votes
OMNI VI+          3 votes (very quiet rx, great in crowded loud
adjacent sig bands)
IC-756PRO         2 votes absolutely not buy
IC-775            1 for sale with 6hrs use??? let me see here, doesnt speak
well of it then. From respected technical guy I know personally!
ElecKraft K2      1 vote (wow where is drive power for 160M
IC-751A           1
R4-C/sherwood mods  1 vote
IC-746            1 vote
IC-775            1 vote for best (not the one for sale)
TS-950SDX         0 votes
TS-870            1  2nd place vote
IC-756PRO         1  2nd place vote

Comments:
Kenwood and ICOM do not make good radios any longer.
Yaesu best now.
Still the best FT-1000D.
IC-756PRO stinks lot of problems
FT-1000MP MK V always in the shop
Forget DSP radio and and get a Time Wave DSP unit extrernal.

OK, hope this is helpful to those on this reflector and others if forwarded.
Note these are the comments of others, who own or have used the radios. I did
not bias this to best of my knowledge as I want to get the best  for my use. I
do not take any claim to rate any on technical merit, just comments received.

73 de Arne N7KA

Any fairly new FT-1000D radios for sale??

Also some comments from friends not in survey: FT-1000D ONLY please. Some own 2
ea ft-1000D's.