Topband: Feedlines

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Feedlines
From: k0ha@navix.net (Bill Hohnstein)
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 10:43:50 -0500
I've generally use flooded cables for my Beverages.  While an occasional
critter may take a quick bite, I haven't seen one continue for a meal.  The
cable flooding prevents water from future rains from significantly wicking
in and the ruining the cable via causing high attention.  Plus, it "prevents
water
migration by using a customized polymer adhesive over the center conductor."
"Protection against moisture ingress and other underground contaminants is
assured by using a  unique highly flexible polyethylene jacket on all
underground products."
Hopefully I'm not out of place here, but the quotes are from CommScope's
description of some of their flooded cables.  I have some shorter pieces
(generally under 200 feet--that's short for me) of their F5967BEF cable
(see: http://www.commscope.com/pdf_files/Drop/F5967BEF.pdf ) for
7 cents a foot.  This is new flooded RG59 cable.  I use three pieces of
that (around 770 feet long each) for my three parallel phased European
Beverages (with only in-shack preamps sometimes used).  I was hoping
to offer 1000 ft rolls of this for $60 but my supplier just has very small
quantities on hand.  Flooded RG6 has better availability.   F660BEF is
$98/1000' (see http://www.commscope.com/pdf_files/Drop/F660BEF.pdf )
Flooded dual RG6 with ground wire (which could be used for preamp
voltage or Beverage switching) is #5789 for $190/1000' (see
http://www.commscope.com/pdf_files/Coax/5789.pdf ).  Adding chokes
around the coax is more of a problem with this though.  Drop shipping
could lower the price some.  Contact me direct if  you have any interest.
This isn't a get rich scheme on my part, just trying to help some without
easier access to flooded cable.

73,  Bill     K0HA