Topband: RF resistance of wire

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: RF resistance of wire
From: k3ky@erols.com (k3ky@erols.com)
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 01:32:53 -0400
N2LO wrote:

and then there's Litz wire ...

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~sullivan/litzwire.html

The referenced web page says Litz wire is used to good
advantage from about 5KHz to 1MHZ, and that is just
about how I remember it.
I worked for a test equipment manufacturer in the late 70s
who built a piece of gear with a 1.25MHz IF that used pot
cores wound with Litz wire. We got some pretty good Qs
with them. As I remember, even at 1.25MHz, there was
controversy within the company as to whether going to all
that trouble was really buying us anything- but my boss
stuck to his guns and that is how they built his design. No
doubt there is nothing to be gained at 1.8MHz with Litz
wire inductors or antennas. It is hard to beat plain old round
solid wire at such high frequencies.  :o)   BTW the old time
designers did some really amazing things with Litz wire
inductors at LF and VLF- it was quite an art and science.
I have a few old pancake coils and other such exotica and
they are quite interesting to see and appreciate. A lost art,
now. It is said, just for example, that nobody could ever wind
Tesla coils quite as good as Tesla himself (he used fine
solid wire, I believe)- but that's another story...

73, David K3KY