Topband: Last-ditch effort: elavated radiation...

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Last-ditch effort: elavated radiation...
From: NX4D@mpinet.net (Doug Waller)
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 00:18:05 -0400
Gentlemen:

Answers to my post asking about a top fed 160m vertical almost convinced =
me to forget it & shunt-feed the 60ft tower with beam.  But further =
study & the burning desire to get as much high elevation radiation as =
possible from this forest of thick, tall trees, has given me the =
incentive to send a final post on the subject.

The following is what seems to be given:

1.  Install as high & as large a top capacitance hat as possible.  =
Spread out losses.
2.  Taller radiators usually yield more radiation resistance & average =
higher elevation radiation.
3.  Top hat is one plate, ground is the other.  The closer to ground the =
top hat is, the more capacitance.
4.  The higher & larger a top hat is, the more difficult it is to =
support, & to prevent wind damage.
5.  Linear loading is virtually lossless, & the reverse second (& third) =
conductor(s) also radiate.
6.  It is easy to add an aluminum tubing "whip" to the beams mast at 65 =
ft, for total of 95 ft physical height.
7.  Whip will survive winds alone, but not with any form of capacitance =
hat at its top.

>From the above, the plan is to start at a 14 ft elevated feed at =
rooftop, run a #12awg insulated copper wire to the top of the whip, with =
stand-off separation of 3 ft from the tower & a tapered stand-off of 1 =
ft, to 6 inches from the whip.  The #12 wire is connected to the top of =
the whip.  The tower resonates near 80m so there should be no =
interaction with the wire.

The theory of operation is that the beam will exhibit much more =
capacitance with the earth, at its lower mounted position, & draw more =
current up higher into the whip/wire area where I want more radiation.  =
Current reaching the top & descending back down the whip to the top hat =
beam should add even more high radiation in linear loading fashion.  =
Finally, while the tower is presently grounded, theory holds that a =
capacitance hat shunts most of the current into itself, making isolation =
of tower from ground, as with a Moxon linear trap, unnecessary. Trap =
will be added if tower couples with #12 wire, or if current flows into =
ground.

The total conductor length to center (top) hat is 116 ft, but electrical =
length will be shorter due to linear loading effect.  Additional linear =
electrical 1/2 WL with elevated radials & avoid adding a load coil.

I will try this contraption out as soon as ZX0T operation is over.  =
Being a novice antenna experimenter & not yet knowing how to model, I am =
leaving myself wide open for mental error.  But if any worthwhile =
improvements evolve, it will have been well worth it for me.

73, Doug / Nx4d