Topband: Trees and HTML

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Trees and HTML
From: K1PX@aol.com (K1PX@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 07:09:21 EDT
    Topbanders:

    AOL 6.0 has an HTML attachment that I was unaware of and either
    made a mess of my previous posting or, as a couple of people
    reported, presented a blank screen when they looked at posting.

    I regret any inconvenience and the bandwidth - thanks, Bill, W4ZV.

    This is not scientific data, as others have mentioned, but I have a
    noticeable problem with this issue at my particular location.

    My property has several acres in a watershed zone with densely
    populated trees, significant foliage from spring to fall and a very
    high water table.

    During that time, with vertically polarized antennas compared to
    horizontally polarized reference antennas, vertical polarization appears
    to be down at least 10 dB as compared to average signal levels when
    the foliage is gone from November to May. That is obviously not taking
    into account the seasonal effects on the trees themselves or the
    amount of water in them at any particular time.

    There is often water that oozes out of the trees when I screw in eye
    bolts. I suspect there is year round absorption but the difference
    with the foliage is quite noticeable.

    While I have trees that are around 100' tall, I wonder how I would get
    out if they weren't there at all.

    But, they are good for elevated radials and beverage runs.

    73, Jim, K1PX

    K1PX@aol.com