Topband: Top-hat loaded tower vs, the Hertz.

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Top-hat loaded tower vs, the Hertz.
From: 2@vc.net (2)
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 10:44:25 -0700
I initially used a top-loaded 75-ft tower for 160m.   The R part of the
feedpoint Z was under 10-ohms.  I reasoned that an antenna with more Z
might be more efficient.   I installed a halyard at the 75-ft. point and
hauled up the midpoint of a half-wavelength (250-ft.) of #20 copper wire.
  "Hertz" is the name for an end fed half-wave antenna.  [The name comes
from Gustav Ludwig Hertz (1887-1975)].  The far end of the half-wave was
tethered by a dacron cord.  This end of the wire was c. 30-ft. above
ground.  The feedpoint end was tethered to a 6-ft. fiberglass electric
fence post.  On the ground near the fence post was a 3' x 4' sheet of
20-gauge galvanized steel.  A "dog-house" on the galvanized sheet held
the antenna's L-matching network.  In order to match the antenna to
50-ohms, 55uH was needed.  The variable C that I used was an 11kV, E.F.
Johnson Type-E , 200pF max.  The feedpoint Z was a bit over 5k-ohms, so
the 3' x 4' galvanized sheet served as a gnd.  By DC gear-motor driving
the var. C, 1.8 - 2.0 MHz could be covered from the radio room.
-  Results:
Switching from the vertical to the Hertz did nothing for receive.
On transmit, the avg. difference was about 5db in favor of the Hertz.

cheers

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734,AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures.
end