Topband: HF2V 160m kit doorknob caps

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: HF2V 160m kit doorknob caps
From: k8mn@earthlink.net (Dave Heil)
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 13:36:10 +0000
Duane Calvin wrote:

> Last night, trying to chase J8PA, I accidentally ran a full KW into my HF2V
> with the 160m kit.  The doorknob caps released their smoke, and no longer
> dwell on this mortal plane.  Does anyone know the value of these caps (there
> are 2 of them in parallel)?  The Butternut literature does not describe them,
> and their value markings are long gone.  Tnx in advance for any pointers!  (I
> know, watch the output power!)
>
>    73, Duane

The caps are 200pf.  If you can find a couple of flange-mount surplus
micas, you can run the legal limit.  Similarly, a vacuum variable will
allow the antenna to be used at the legal limit.  The doorknobs are
expensive and they can fail spectacularly (watch those ceramic shards).

73,

Dave Heil K8MN
Cameron, WV