Topband: Real practicalies of Beverages

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Real practicalies of Beverages
From: sire@iinet.net.au (Steve Ireland)
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 21:09:07 +0800
G'day

As several old hands on this reflector have pointed out regularly,
Beverages are not rocket science.

The difference between even a less-than-ideally installed full-wave
Beverage and other types of receiving antennas/Tx antennas (dipole,
inverted-L), etc is huge, in the directions favoured by the Bev.  Don't
agonize over whether it is has a small part of vertical in it, or whether
it is 5 or 10' above the ground - it really won't make any practical
difference in my experience.

What is usually more important with such a long antenna are the real
practicalities.  I prefer to use a 10' high Beverage rather than a 5' one
because the former doesn't tend to decapitate anyone who walks underneath
it.  Unless you live in the valley of the Seven Dwarves, a 5' high Beverage
is something of a hazard to your neighbours/friends/children.

My Beverages have to be on other people's land/common land.  An
unterminated one wavelength (bi-directional) Beverage works so much better
than anything other Rx antenna I have used and can be erected/rolled up in
about three minutes.  The only thing I think people should worry about is
actually having a Beverage - an ideally installed one is nice, but far from
essential.

Vy 73,

Steve, VK6VZ