Topband: Re: Antennas

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Re: Antennas
From: ford@cmgate.com (Ford Peterson)
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 21:18:01 -0500
Larry wrote:

>It looks to me like drooping wire "hats" create as many problems as they
>solve. So, is this real? What have I missed? Comments?

>From my experience, hats work well when they are perpendicular to the mast
or inverted up instead of down.  As soon as they are drooped down (e.g.
incorporated into the guys supports) they lose effectiveness and have to be
inordinately larger to work.

I am somewhat perplexed as to why you changed your antenna from a top loaded
(hat with loading coil) system.  Was it a bandwidth problem?

73s

Ford-N0FP
ford@cmgate.com