Topband: Drooping top hats

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Drooping top hats
From: w7iuv@earthlink.net (Larry Molitor)
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 14:37:21 +0000
At 11:38 AM 8/29/01 +0200, i4jmy@iol.it wrote:
>Beeing very practical, if I had a 30ft antenna I'd keep
>as high as I can the hat wires and by purpose I'll
>also keep the antenna impedance slightly capacitive using
>a smaller hat than required. This I'd do in order to use
>a coil at the antenna base that would serve both to
>resonate the antenna and as a step up autotransformer.

Mauri,

Thanks for taking to time to run the models. Very interesting data.

In past portable/temporary setups I have had, the political duress (wife,
neighbors, landlord) caused by dangling wires far outweighed the mechanical
difficulties caused by a center load inductor. I still maintain that an
inductive loaded antenna is better than no antenna at all!

This discussion has been very helpful to me at least. In this upcoming
adventure, I will expend a lot more effort making sure that the temporary
antenna will have hat wires.

73,

Larry - W7IUV