Topband: RE: skewed paths

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: RE: skewed paths
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 06:32:20 -0400
> I was always under the impression that the skewed paths were actually
> a backscatter situation.  What appears to be skewing is just a skip
> point out at sea, etc., along a path of good propagation.  What you
> hear is actually backscatter from that point, which appears SE, etc.

Not at all. Skewed paths are clearly just like any other path. They
are stable, they often have slow fading, they are common when the
direct path is difficult, they appear independent of solar conditions,
they do not have to be over water, and sometimes they are the
ONLY way to work certain DX.

> The proof would be if it is a bi-directional path.  The odds that you
> can induce backscatter backwards has got to be about nil.  I think Tom
> is using beverages to report reception direction.  Tom, have you got a
> 4 square as well to check the reverse path?

It is very easy to check, and yes the paths are reciprocal. When I
worked LA3XI with many skew path QSO's during summer, Svein
reports many S unit's better signal from me when I beam into the
path instead of NE. He also reported the verticals much better than
dipoles at any height (even 300 feet), so it is obviously a lower
angle path.

I often observe the path for JA's move from southwest up to
northwest. Many times both paths are open at the same time, with
different fading. Every time when the southwest path is the only
path, I also have to transmit that way.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com