Topband: Lightning Protection

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Lightning Protection
From: peter.sally@pacific.net.sg (Peter Cook)
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 13:33:17 +0800
Folks,

I'm after some advice on lightning protection.  I have just put up a
center fed half wave dipole for 160m between the roofs of
two 20 storey condominium blocks.   I live on the 10th floor of one of
the blocks (my shack also!).   We have thunderstorms on some 40% of
days here in Singapore.

The condo blocks have very extensive lightning protection on the roof
etc.  I don't want to compromise this and, worst still, attract
lightning into the shack!!!!

What should I be doing with the 75 ohm feeder coming into the shack (on
the 10th floor) when not in use?  Should I earth it? If
so how good an earth will I need (best I can do is a 5m run to a Cu
water pipe)?

Or should I leave it isolated?     The 75ohm feeder comprises two 0.9mm
Cu lines in PTFE.

At the moment I am leaving the ends outside the shack window resting on
a concrete ledge - at least the flashes won't be inside the shack!!
What's the best defense for lightning protection of the shack?

Regards,

Peter 9V1PC