Topband: 160meter dx

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160meter dx
From: stans@rockisland.com (stans)
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 18:13:28 +0100
Bill wrote "If you are truly interested in working DX on Topband, here is
what should be done in approximate priority order.

1.  Erect RX antennas in as many directions as possible."

I consider  myself truly interested in working DX on Topband (I have 175
countries confirmed on 160).

Over the last 15 years I have erected numerous types of receiving antennas
including several 1 wavelength beverages.  I have never found any receiving
antenna that out performed my transmitting antenna in any situation (I have
made sure the transmitting antenna was detuned during receive and the
receive antennas have been as far as one wavelength from the transmitting
antenna).   I have heard and called many stations that could not hear me.  I
can hear as well as most W7's.  The major exception is N7UA with his 4 square.

My transmitting antennas have been various forms of short (40-50ft)
verticals and arrays of short verticals with various radial configurations.
(I worked A61AJ with a 50ft slanting T and 4 elevated radials.)

The possible explanation is that my transmitting antenna isn't very good and
I am in a very very quiet location.  This may apply to others.

Stan W7AWA