Topband: RE: skewed paths

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: RE: skewed paths
From: miltj@dvec.org (Milt Jensen)
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 23:06:02 +0100
> I'm at a loss to explain
> Milt's dipole comments which indicate high angle at his end because they
are
> inconsistent with the long path tests between A61AJ and N7UA (both using
> 4-squares) last November.  Beverages are low-angle RX antennas like 4-
> squares, and I would expect consistent results between the XZ0A and A61AJ
> operations...so maybe XZ0A Beverages were not working correctly.

All Beverages checked out very well on signals in their intended direction.
The VKs and ZLs were very strong on the subject SSE Beverage from XZ0A.
10-20 dB over 9 static crashes from that direction were reduced to a low
level when switching to north oriented Beverages when checking to see if the
signals were coming from the north and when the path was changing.

Northern hemisphere stations could not be heard on this antenna.  By
contrast the northerly azimuth antennas performed superbly to all intended
areas and VK/ZL complained that we could not hear them when listening north.

The SSE Beverage was physically down tilted about 6 degrees as that was the
downward slope of the terrain over which it was mounted.  Consequently, it
should have exhibited an even lower angle of reception in the main lobe
reference the horizon.

> The fact that most (all?) East Coast XZ0A QSO's were made in the general
> SW direction before sunrise should be a clue that this propagation mode is
> VERY consistent  with decent stations at both ends of the path.  I can say
that
> the XZ0A signal was VERY consistent here on Beverages (both at my sunrise
> and sunset...although XZ0A was very deaf at my sunset).

We tried listening on the SW Beverage for openings at our sunrise but did
not hear any signals.  We had the EUs stand by many, many times every day
trying this path and the direct path.  After receiving an E-mail from Tom,
W8JI, I have reviewed the XZ0A 160 M. log and find there is ONE valid Q for
the morning (NA evening) path other than Jack, VE1ZZ.  I believe the call
sign is WR4U and Tom said this contact was made from his station.

I have some other comments and information regarding the operation in the
message that was truncated and fortunately was rejected by Bill.  I will
resend that message when I get home later tonight.  73 for now de Milt, N5IA