Topband: screen type ground systems

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: screen type ground systems
From: howk2@hotmail.com (Howard Klein)
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 18:25:43 +0100
Bud,

I have read the same article and been in touch with Rob (he has infinite
patience). Rob's latest idea has altered the configuration to a square
design. A friend of his is using a 20X20 ground screen. I have laid down
about 900 sq ft (30X30) of galvanized, welded fencing. In the past day or so
I have begun to add radials beginning at the outer dimension of the screen
to reach a total of approximately 130 ft. I am up to six. I do not have an
easy method of measuring ground resistance so I can not offer qualitative
results. Empirically I have found my shunt fed tower easier to tune, I hear
infinitely better (very close to my 560 ft Parallel Beverages (maybe that
means I need to work on the Beverages), and I have had better results in
working DX to EU and SA. Granted there is a basketful of variables that come
into play.  The bottom line for me is a worthwhile improvement. When time
allows I will make some resistance measurements. Possibly Rob subscribes to
the reflector and will offer many of his good ideas.

Howard M. Klein, K2HK