Topband: CQWW DX SSB and 160 Meter Band Plan

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: CQWW DX SSB and 160 Meter Band Plan
From: btippett@alum.mit.edu (Bill Tippett)
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 12:09:03 +0100
K6SE wrote:

>I hope that Paul is the only one that thinks that the CW DX window at
>1830-35 kHz no longer exists!  This window (for CW) has existed for quite
>a while and has worked nicely.  The ARRL band plan has not eliminated it
>by any means!  Let's continue to observe it!

        Earl, our committee did discuss whether to say anything about
the DX window since the old ARRL bandplan suggested 1825-1830 as the
window.  After some discussion we decided not to specify a window because
it is very difficult to do so in general.  Why?  Because there are so
many different places that DX is found there cannot really be one 5 kHz
window to cover all cases.  For example, here are windows I'm aware of:

1810-1825  JA Window
1825-1830  Old ARRL Window
1830-1835  CQ 160 Contest Window (for intercontinental QSO's ONLY)

        As we all know, many DX-peditions prefer to use the 1820-1830
area.  As I've stated previously, DX on 160 is where you find it and it
is nearly impossible in my opinion to pick 5 kHz that works for all
cases.  I think the best thing is to just say that the general area of
1820-1840 is where you will find most DX on 160 and leave it at that.
This leaves 1800-1820 for general ragchewing, domestic QSO's, digital, etc.

        I also do not feel we cannot call CQ DX anywhere in the DX
area.  If someone doesn't make some noise, then DX will often think the
band is dead.  While in Colorado, I worked many DX stations by listening
to the East Coast working DX and I would dump my call quickly when I
heard them working something I could hear.  I found that most guys were
very happy to stand by and let me work a new one.  I certainly still do
that and am certain that most others will do the same.

                                              73,  Bill W4ZV