Topband: 160m CQWW notes from VP2E.

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160m CQWW notes from VP2E.
From: k5ab@texas.net (Alan Brown)
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 23:19:14 -0600
TopBand Operators:

Thanks to all TopBanders who worked VP2E in the CQWW SSB  contest.  Your QSO
helped set the very impressive total score noted below.

My contribution to the effort was operating only the TopBand for all but about
30 minutes of the "dark hours" of the contest.  My notes listed here are direct
observations.

Our TopBand station consisted of a Yaesu xcvr, Alpha 76 amp, 120 foot shunt-fed
tower at 30 feet for transmit, a single wire 2 wavelength Beverage to Europe,
and a single wire 1 wavelength Beverage to the USA.

Countries worked while using the EU Bev were: 5B, 9A, CT, DL, EA, EA8, F, G, GJ,
HA, I, IH9, LX, LZ, OK, OM, ON, PA, S5, UA2, UR, and YU.

Countries heard but NOT worked while using the EU Bev were:  EI, ES, EU, GM, LA,
LY, OE, OH, OZ, SM, SP, SV, UA1, UA9, YL, and YO.

Thus, VP2E was heard in only 59% of the "European" countries which we were able
to copy.  I have read a few reports that lead one to believe that conditions
were "not good".  This was my first time to operate from the Caribbean, so I am
no expert, but I can not concur.  From my perspective, there was so much
"European" activity, it was difficult for many station in this area to copy us.
And, I might point out that earlier Wally at LZ8T wrote that VP2E had the best
signal outside of Europe (other than EA8).  In operating the contest, I gained
the feel that we indeed had an efficient transmit antenna.  We even worked
Hawaii.

In the entire contest, I only experienced one short "run" of European stations.
Thus, the rest was hunt and pounce style.  I am sure that the North American
stations were often wondering if I was crazy to be calling repeatedly with no
response!  I was calling for European stations which simply could not hear our
signal.  In one QSO with UU7J, we both commented on each others exceptional
signals, but were confused why MANY other station who were LOUD to each of us
were completely deaf.  UU7J was using a two element delta loop!

It was not uncommon to hear North American and European stations calling CQ on
the exact same frequencies.  It was also not uncommon to hear other Caribbean
and European stations calling CQ on the same frequency.  Once I advised our
Caribbean neighbor V26B that he and G4US were both CQing on the same frequency.
V26B was nice enough to QRX while I called G4US, who did not copy me, but GJ2A
did!  During peak activity, the BW from 1810 to 1880 was FULL of European
stations, most calling CQ!!!  It was frustrating knowing the local signal levels
that must have been in the European area which were indeed competing against the
VP2E effort to give these stations a QSO with zone 8.  Many stations were HEARD,
few were WORKED in Europe.  Does Europe need a dedicated "DX only window" for
such an event?

In general, the new North American gentleman's agreement (or, Band Plan) was a
success.  Being so close to NA, we appreciated the normally clear frequencies
below 1840 to listen to Europe.  We noted only one major Caribbean contest
station who was soliciting NA QSOs in the 1825 KHz region, for an extended
period of time. The English have a polite way to describe this as "bad form".
At VP2E, we only had one K4 station try to work us below 1840 KHz, and this
station took our suggestion to transmit on 1853 KHz to work us "split".  Thanks,
Charles!

A comment to the stations who continuously generate a "CQ Contest" message,
every 7 seconds, with a duration of 5 seconds.  If you are only working a new
station every 10 minutes, please take comfort in the fact that you are making
the spectrum know as "YOUR FREQUENCY" totally useable to other Amateurs to copy
or work other DX stations on or near "YOUR FREQUENCY".  There were times that
this situation limited QSOs in BOTH directions between NA and EU.

Next year, we must plan on a better receive antenna for South America.

Again, from the VP2E Team "Thanks for the QSO!"

VY 73,
Alan Brown
K5AB
160m op at VP2E