Topband: JT - Final Report

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: JT - Final Report
From: jt1co@mongol.net (JT1CO)
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 08:22:08 -0800
   I wanted to share a couple of thoughts as I conclude my trip to Mongolia
today.  First and foremost, I owe a big Thank You to Chadraabal JT1CO and
his family.  For the past 10 days, they have taken me in as a part of their
family and allowed me to stay with them at their beautiful new QTH 25km
northwest of Ulaanbaatar.  They fed me three times a day and went out of
their way to make sure I felt welcomed in their home.  They have been most
gracious in every imaginable way.  I'm sure they will now welcome a little
peace and quiet into their life with my departure.
   Secondly, a big thanks to my good friend Baatar JT1BG.  When I began this
hobby some years ago as a kid in school, I can remember chasing Baatar for a
new country and hoping some day I might even work him for that coveted zone
23 on 80 meters.  He's not quiet as active now as he was then but one of the
first calls that come to my mind when you mention Mongolia is JT1BG.  Baatar
works with JT1CO and he was also instrumental in getting this lowband setup
going.  Never did I imagine years later that I would have the opportunity to
meet this gentlemen, in his country, and become such good friends.  What a
great hobby we have!  Thanks to the other members of the JT1JA radio club
and in particular JT1KAF who also spent many hours over here getting things
going.  Finally, I need to thank my wife and family for putting up with this
unusually hobby.  They don't always understand it but they know enough at
this point to go with the flow.
   In a nutshell, I've had an absolute blast.  As I stated when I first
announced this operation, the goal was to install a good lowband antenna
system at the new QTH of JT1CO.  I think by most any measure, this has been
a big success.  Any ham, in any part of the world, now has a much better
chance to work JT and zone 23 on the lowbands as a result.  The stations we'
ve worked to date and the feedback we're getting about the signal from here
is very gratifying.  In a perfect world, I would have liked to have done
more with some receive antennas.  The fact of the matter is that we have all
been putting in long days and we needed a break at some point.  Also, while
the weather has been quite good during my stay, it is still winter and not a
real great time to be outside for extended periods of time.  I think if any
of us look at our own stations, it took time for them to evolve into what
they are today.  The same will happen here in due time.  I am amazed at how
quiet this vertical is on receive.  Often times the S meter will sit at S1
or less.  A bigger problem at times is the crud that appears on the HF bands
in this region.
   In closing, I have been just as excited about working everyone, as I'm
sure you have been working us.  There are many others I wish could have made
it into my log but I knew from a realistic standpoint that would not happen
in just 10 days.  JT1CO is very excited about his new toys so you will no
doubt be hearing from him.  Mongolia has been a wonderful country to visit.
A lot has changed here in the last 10 years or so.  Some of the vestiges of
the past can still be seen but so to can the many people that now are
running around on the streets with cell phones and other new technology.  We
stopped at a local department store, which had just about anything you could
imagine, and I was amazed at the pile up of locals in the cell phone
department.  It's not uncommon to see a Land Rover or BMW on the streets of
Ulaanbaatar.  As a sit here and type this, we're getting a nice dusting of
snow.  It's a real picture perfect scene with the mountains and a great last
visual of this beautiful country.
   Thanks to everyone who made contributions to this project and helped to
make it a success.  I expect QSL cards to go out sometime after the
Christmas holidays.  For those that need to reach me, please do so now at my
home address K4ZW@staffnet.com.  I don't want JT1CO to have to forward a
bunch of e-mail.  Now to get home and work JT1CO on 80 meters, my last zone
for 5BWAZ.

73
Ken K4ZW

Finals Stats

160 Meters - 428 QSO's    48 Countries
80 Meters -   565 QSO's    57 Countires

>From CQWW CW
160 Meters - 99 QSO's    13 Countries
80 Meters - 258 QSO's    43 Countries

Congratulations to W8JI and K9DX who were the only two stations east of the
Mississippi River to make it on Topband.  Certainly one of the difficult
areas to work from here on 160 meters.