Topband: 160 meters conditions

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160 meters conditions
From: Mauricette F8BPN" <f8bpn@wanadoo.fr (Mauricette F8BPN)
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 14:17:57 +0100
Good afternoon to you all!

Band conditions have been very good this morning to the east coast and
central USA.
I was on at 0455z and didn't have to call CQ for too long before I got my
first answer from Don WA8OLN (MI)
I had severals QSO's with very good reports, even I am running only 100
Watts.( hope it was not just to be nice with me because I am one of the rare
YL on the band! Hi!)
Sid,K3SX at K3UL QTH , gave me a 599 report at 0457z, I got several others
reports like this until 0543z with Tom W8JI, then a 559 from W0FLS from Iowa
and then nothing! Sid did mail me that they could not hear me any more.
I did keep on calling for more than one hour with out any success at all, I
gave up even before my sunrise.
Yesterday December 27th, I had the same experience, conditions went away
about two hours before my sunrise. But conditions were differents, signals
from central USA were almost stronger than those from the east coast, I
worked N0AH Paul as a new State with a nice signal and some stations from
Minesota, almost nothing heard from east coast.
To day, as yesterday around 0545z, means two hours before sunrise here, it
seems that conditions moved more north, heard Mark ON4WW working N0AH and
some others I could not hear. Mark is of course using a better equipment
than I do, it can make a difference!
But again between the first hour I was on and the second hour there was a
big difference.
I am not QRV on this band for too long, so I can just say and compare this
year and last year really, which is a very little experience. I never heard
any VK and JA yet, when last year I had earlier in the season several QSO's
with Mike VK6HD, one with VK6VZ and a few JA's. I don't remember from last
year that we had conditions looking like this, being so localised from one
point to the other.
So, it was nice to hear the band alive at least for one hour, I'll try to be
on a little earlier, if I must loose conditions so quick!
Hope to see you in the coming contest and still waiting for good conditions
into west coast all the States I miss are from over there, except MS. I know
it will be a hard job with 100 Watts and an inverted L! Some could find me a
bit too much optimistic!!
I wish you all a very HNY!

88's F8BPN

Mau