Topband: K9AY Dimensions--help!

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: K9AY Dimensions--help!
From: K9AY" <k9ay@k9ay.com (K9AY)
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 16:54:17 -0500
Ed

The shape of the loop affects the shape of the pattern. The delta/triangle
shape for the K9AY loop was chosen for two reasons: 1) it only needs
one support, and 2) it results in a null at about 30-40 degrees elevation,
which is ideal for in-country QRM reduction.

 A rectangle will work, but the null will be at a lower angle -- this will
be good for knocking down neighborhood noises, but it will have less
front-to-back on arriving signals.  Something close to a square is OK,
but a rectangle that wider than its height will have its null at a very
low
angle

The only real difference between the K9AY loop and similar antennas
like the Pennant, Flag or EWE is that the feedpoint and termination
are at the same place, which lets you easily reverse the direction with
a relay.

73, Gary
K9AY