Topband: Beverage above fenceline?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Beverage above fenceline?
From: herbs@vitelcom.net (Herb Schoenbohm)
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 01:39:25 +0000
Brad,

The problem with running a Beverage above a fence line is that it will act more
like a long unbalanced transmission line.  I think the rule of thumb would be to
obtain the most separation possible.  My understanding of the Beverage theory is
that unless the antenna wire is a significantly better conductor than the ground
below little wave tilt will be developed thus mitigating the gain and
directivity.
This is similar to running a Beverage over salt water.

The good news is, however, that if the circumstances give you a good low noise
receive antenna you may still be happy with the performance making the effort
worthwhile. It certainly would worth the try.  Perhaps you can find someone
to do a
model profile for you that has some experience with EZNEC.

Good Luck,

Herb Schoenbohm, (ex-KV4FZ)