Topband: Receiver S-meters

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Receiver S-meters
From: Brad Rehm" <brehm@texas.net (Brad Rehm)
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 13:11:14 -0600
I'm a little surprised that in the discussion of improvements for the
current crop of transceivers no one mentioned that the S-meters could
use a little work too.  The radios that have "digital" S-meters
convert the AGC voltage to a digital value and use that information to
turn on segments of the S-meter bar display.

I've wondered why the designers didn't build software lookup tables
that would translate the AGC voltage into a much more accurate
representation of antenna port voltage.  There would still be minor
differences between receivers that fixed-value tables wouldn't account
for.  But the approach would eliminate the 1 dB low-end S-unit vs. the
3-to-10 dB high-end S-unit spread.  It would also allow them to put S9
exactly where it should be.  All for the cost of a few lines of code.

Brad, KV5V