Topband: Re: One way propogation or QRM?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Re: One way propogation or QRM?
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 08:59:48 -0500
Rick said:
> When I am working JA's in the morning, I am listening on my
> NW beverage, so nearly everyone stateside is off the back or
> side, and nearly inaudible.  I also have to check the SW bev
> for ZL, so I am very busy.  Some US stations calling me probably
> wondered why I was having trouble copying them; I was trying
> to find the right beverage.  Or switch to the vertical.

You sure brought up a good point Rick!! I'm sure others experience
this also.

The most frustrating thing is when someone calls and gives up
before I have time to find the "good antenna"! It may take several
calls to figure out what direction and antenna to use. There are
dozens of possible antenna combinations and with narrow 250 Hz
filters the receivers constantly need to be tuned. When all of this is
combined with QSB, it can be frustrating.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com