Topband: NDB's and Fishing Beacons

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: NDB's and Fishing Beacons
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 17:50:31 -0500
This topic comes up from time-to-time, and it is useful to
understand how these beacons are constructed.

Every transmitter I have seen (several dozen) has NOT had any
type of low-pass filter in later stages or at the transmitter output.
They all had solid-state linear amplifier stages driven by two
oscillators.

One oscillator is the carrier, and the other is the "tone" that
modulates the oscillator with the identifier. (A few also have
conventional audio and give airport condition reports, but they are
rare).

There typically are as many as   **two** distinct types of signals
from these transmitters.

1.) We might hear the normal identifier sending regular CW over
and over again. This is the harmonic of the CW ID oscillator.

2.) We might hear CW-sounding gibberish with long dashes. It
might like "di-di-di-dahhh-di-di-dahh-di-di-di-dahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"
over and over again with no real pauses or gaps. This is the
harmonic of the actual carrier. Because it is the carrier, dashes
and dots form the spaces we hear and the normal CW spaces or
gaps in tone form the dots and dashes! Thus it is a mirror image of
the real CW.

These transmitters depend on the transistor stages being perfectly
linear to not generate excessive harmonics, and a single large
has a zener diode clamp for lightning protection.

The problem with the loading coil "idea" is at some frequency
above the operating frequency the coil looks like a low reactance. I
found virtually all FAA certified technical people can't grasp the
idea that the loading coil is only a high reactance in certain narrow
frequency ranges.

Worse yet, the transmitter feeds a "T" antenna that is almost a
perfect 160 meter and AM BCB antenna.

Clearly these things never should have be designed the way they
are. All it takes is a technician who sets the gain too high, a
lightning hit that weakens a semiconductor (like the diode clamps),
or any internal defect that causes non-linearity in amplifiers and
these things will radiate for thousands of miles.

This is why they are constant trouble even though power is low.

Fishing buoys are used to mark long fishing lines and illegal drift
nets. They send number and letter identifiers three times, long
carriers, and then go QRT for a while. We also are starting to have
fishing boat communications appear on 160 meters now.

The FCC is aware of fishing boat problems from both domestic and
foreign fisherman, and has even distributed pre-recorded warning
messages in several languages to be played back to fishermen
using illegal frequencies.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com