Topband: Noise cancellers

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Noise cancellers
From: sentek@sprintmail.com (Floyd Sense)
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 10:59:39 +0000
I have an MFJ1026, but not currently using it on 160.  I found it to be
very effective on highly localized noise sources.  For example, my RCA
TV has a very noisy power supply (which is ALWAYS on) and I hear a
blanket of white noise all the way up through 15 meters.  I ran a
"sense" antenna close to the TV to make sure to get a good sample of the
noise on the sense antenna and I was able to null out the noise almost
entirely.  It was completely ineffective on noise emanating from a
neighbor's electric livestock fence, probably because the fence is
radiating the signal throughout its length - a nice big antenna that
covers a 90 degree field of view from here!