Topband: 160m band plan for Phone contest

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160m band plan for Phone contest
From: john.devoldere@pandora.be (John Devoldere)
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 13:27:20 -0000
Hello there:

I have been reading a lot on this subject, and I have been taking part in
the contest last weekend (my first Phone contest on 160). I prefer CW a lot
on that band, and I would not be "unhappy" if there were no Phone contests
on that band. But if they are there to stay, maybe I have a suggestion that
would be worth considering. Give it a thought and let me please have your
comments.
73
John, ON4UN

------

SUGGESTIONS REGARDING BANDPLAN DUSING PHONE CONTEST ON 160

Problems:

1/ cohabitation of CW and SSB during SSB contest
2/ locals (very strong signals) and DX (weaksignals) in same band section

Facts:

95 % in US and Europe (probably twice as much in US as Eu)

Possible Solution:

Principle: do NOT concentrate all the nice DX stations in a small window,
this is just creating QRM. So the 1830-1835 kHz window is a total loss!

Phone contest band plan (only during the few SSB contestson 160) :

1810 - 1820:  NO SSB. To be enforced (disqualification!)
1820 - 1860: only for Eu to RUN (means: Europeans RUN here, and anyone can
come here to call the running station)
1860 - 2000: only for US to RUN (same principle)

This requires NO split, which is to be avoided: takes twice the space,
people "answer" on busy frequencies -low power, bad antenna stations- which
the caller does not hear, "smart" guys use the listening frequencies to
"run" on as they know it is a clear frequency at the other (far) end
(happens on 40 and 80 all the time). In addition it is for the "runner"
impossible to keep his frequency clean, and control it in aproper way (ask
guys that come too close to move a little etc), because he wants to be able
to listen on his own frequency also to work the less exocitc stations! If
someone comes on the "runner"'s frequency while the "runner" is listening
split, and asks "frequency in use?" and gets no answer (the "runner" is
listening elsewhere) he will start using the ferquency, and secoinds later
the "runner" shows up again to reply to the Dx station he was "trying) to
work split. This is a cause of great irritation. In one word: splits is to
be avoided for many reasons.

What with Asia, Africa, Pacific, S.America?

Asia: can use 1810- 2000 (best using 1860-2000 to work Eu: less QRM).
Problem: working US, but unlikely in contest (except 5B4, but then these are
so close to europe they should do like the European stations).

S. America, Africa, Oceania: can use 1810 - 2000. Why no "window"? They are
separated far enough from high density population areas not to suffer from
too high QRM levels.

Would love comments.

73

john, ON4UN