Topband: Fw: Reactance problem

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Fw: Reactance problem
From: Rick and Angela" <anelson@dbtech.net (Rick and Angela)
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 11:05:40 -0600
-----Original Message-----
From: W2pm@aol.com <W2pm@aol.com>

>I don't suggest this is the issue here but I have found after extensive
work with it that the MFJ259B is quite sensitive to BC band and/or any other
"strong RF" coming in off the antenna in question.
I discovered the same problem at my QTH.  The 259 was not usable during
daylight hours on 160, but fine in the early evening/night.  I went to the
old Kenwood dip meter to get resonant points, and heard the offending local
broadcaster in the earphone!  Just to confirm, I inserted an ICE BC filter
in line with the 259, and the problem was gone.  The filter, I'm sure,
induced some phase and magnitude error, but it seemed minimal when comparing
measurements with/without at night when the AM BC went silent.

Rick