Topband: French Telephone Wire

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: French Telephone Wire
From: k4kyv@hotmail.com (Donald Chester)
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 21:28:52
>From: Craig Clark <nx1g@monad.net>

US Army WD-1 telephone wire is eight strands. Three are
>copper
>and five are steel.
>
>I'm sure French Wire is almost the same. BTW, the reel in the WS-01 2001
>catalog on page 9 is one mile of wire for $125.

When I was a kid I used to find the stuff strung out in the  field at the
Army base near  where I lived.  They weren't very conscientious about
bringing it all back in after  field exercises.  I used it for everything
from antenna wire, tie wire, and even unravelled the  steel strands to make
small resistors such as  meter shunts.

The copper is f or conductivity and the steel for physical strength.  The
stuff has a very tough insulation.  In the field it is strung wherever
needed, on the ground, in trees, etc.  The enemy could easily find the
soldiers'  hiding places by simply following the trail of wire.

At that price, the insulated # 14 @ home Depot is a better deal for radials.