Topband: Re: MFJ power line noise receiver or alternatives?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Re: MFJ power line noise receiver or alternatives?
From: w7dd@msn.com (w7dd)
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 08:54:26 -0700
I do 90 % of my noise locating with my car AM radio.  I tune it to 1710 kc
and 530 kc.  After I determine the direction the noise is coming from using
the home antennas, I drive in that direction.  I continuously switch back
and forth between the two frequencies and listen as I drive.  The two
frequencies have different characteristics.  I usually can verify the exact
pole by hitting the pole with a large hammer and listening to the car radio.
The noise will usually sputter when you are near the problem.  The
connecting lines will sometimes cause the mechanical hammer hit to travel to
the next pole.  I always wear a hard hat and put out a red cone when doing
this.  My new Chevy pick-up looks official from a distance.  The hard hat is
a good idea because loose hardware will sometimes fall when you hit the
pole.  This could give you a bad headache.  The hardhat, cone and pick-up
keeps the neighbors from asking you what you are doing.  I can often fix the
poles myself.  The problem is often the ground wire making intermittent
contact with the staples.  You can tell by hooking the hammer claws into the
ground wire and pulling a little while listening for the sputter.  If I
confirm that I have the correct pole I usually pull the ground wire away
from the pole and in turn pull the old staples out of the poll.  They then
fall to the ground(hard hat and eye protection needed).  I just leave the
ground wire hanging away from the pole.  It's not pretty but I have no
noise.

 This is a continuous part of the hobby since when you fix one you often
hear another noise.  Also a new pole will be making noise next week!  Today,
I am noise free but tomorrow I know I will have to grab the hardhat and
hammer and go again!  When the noise can not be fixed by me, the utility
company noise man  can usually fix it on the spot with his 30' fiberglass
pole tool.  I almost never have to wait for a work order.  When they say
they will write up a work order,  you are in big trouble.  Months will pass!
Always avoid the dreaded "work order"!  I have told the utility company
repair man that I need it fixed today and if it can't happen, I will
complain to the "Corporation Commission".  This will get their attention.
I'll do it too.  Noise fighting is a contact sport!

Don, w7dd