Topband: Lightning and Beverages

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Lightning and Beverages
From: k4kyv@hotmail.com (Donald Chester)
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 06:25:42 +0000
Spring is here, and the Beverage I put up in December didn't make it past
the first round of spring thunderstorm.  Even though I disconnected the
antenna from the matching transformer, enough of a jolt was picked up by the
200+ feet of coax running from the receiver to the matching xfmr at the end
of the beverage, to fry the transformer.  I'm gonig to have to rewind it,
which was a long, tedious job the first time I did it.

Just wondering what effective measures anyone has discovered to avoid this
problem, other than completely disconnecting EVERYTHING from the transformer
when it is not in use: antenna, ground, feedline and all.

Don K4KYV