Topband: Monster antennas

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Monster antennas
From: ford@cmgate.com (Ford Peterson)
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 22:34:13 -0500
Last Sunday, my tower was destroyed by a microburst pushing incredible winds
through the QTH.  I have in round numbers exaclty zero radios on the air.
Depressing...

It was insured.  So now I'm looking at a suitable replacement.  Forget what
I had, I'm considering Rohn 45.  At 160' it looks reasonable to build.  At >
200' you get into multiple anchor points.  The 45G will go to 300' but
limits of the property (5 acres) limits my options if over 240'.

I'd like to hear from some of you guys that have these monsters to play with
on 160.  Does 200' play better on 160M than 130'?  There will be a 40 meter
multiband yagi at the top so some loading is going to be in place.

Rohn makes an insulated section for the 45G.  Does insulating it make sense?

Any and all informed opinions are greatly appreciated.

Ford-N0FP
ford@cmgate.com