Topband: 136 KC VS 160

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 136 KC VS 160
From: scaroni@phoenix.it (Giulio Scaroni)
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 14:07:52 +0100
(Guys, let's make this the last post about 136 kHz since there is
already a "lowfer" reflector here for those interested in 136 kHz:

                                                73,  Bill  W4ZV

>   Boy if you think 160 meter propagation is complicated, wait until you
> experience 136 kc propagation. You get refraction off of the D layer at
day.
>   160 will always be THE TOPBAND.
>
> 73,
> T. F. Giella, KN4LF

Yes, for this reason i'm not active this year (winter) in 160 becouse i'm
trying something in 136, i think that many topbanders may try 136, our
antenna may work very well on 136, for exemple here i have tuned one of my 2
elements slooping dipole for 160 for 136, with only 100 W i have made cw
aural qso with 3 G station, and the dx is about 2100 Km with OH5UFO in very
slow cw, so for now i dont need any increase in my power amplifier.
The 100 W TX is really cheap with 3 IRF640 final (abt. 1 Euro each!), but
the only problem is the very low activity!
About the propagation i think is much difficult to predict it on 160 than
136 for European qso, for transatlantic qso may be really different.
So, i've lost this season in top band, but shure i dont lost the next winter
season, so see you in 160 soon,
73 to all de IK2DED Giulio.