Topband: Manually Switching in Extra Antenna Length

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Manually Switching in Extra Antenna Length
From: k4kyv@hotmail.com (Donald Chester)
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2002 04:58:09 +0000
> > I plan on running the control wire up through the center of
> > the vertical and it will peek out at the very top of the
> > tubing and connect to the operating coil of the vacuum
> > relay.  In addition, I will be using decoupling methods to
> > inhibit RF from coming down the control wire into the shack.

One possibility might be to use a mechanical knife switch at the top of the
mast, and use two control lines made of some non-conductive material that
does not stretch, connected to a rocker arm mechanism.  That would eliminate
many of the problems with electrical control lines and relays, but of course
it might not work during an ice storm. I got the idea from manual switches I
have seen on a.c. power line utility poles.  The manual control lever is
just high enough up the pole that a person can't reach it without a ladder
or climbing gear.  The switch isn't even enclosed against the elements.  I
haven't tried to actually build one, but wonder if anyone has had any
success.

73, Don K4KYV