Topband: IARU test/South Pacific test

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: IARU test/South Pacific test
From: sire@iinet.net.au (Steve Ireland)
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 07:38:03 +0800
G'day

I was amazed when I got this a.m. at 2215Z for a sked with Ron PY2FUS to
find the band was full of European stations, in the IARU contest.

Owing to the high level of activity at the European end, my CQs went
unanswered and I only managed a QSO with SN0HQ.  However, heard up until
2255Z, when the band took a dive, heard were EW5HQ, G4VGO (579 and calling
a station), SP2JNK, LY2DS, EM0HQ, DA0HQ, SM6HX, SK2HQ(?) and OK1ENJ.

There was a couple of 'S' points of QSB on signals and in general they were
around S5 - S6.  The loudest were SN0HQ (58/99) and LY0HQ and G4VGO (both
579).

I get up Fridays to Mondays at about 2215Z (or earlier) and operate until
my sunrise at about 2315Z.  Now this is VERY late in Europe and I am
beginning to wonder if conditions are sometimes there for QSOs, but the
lateness of the hour means there is simply no one on the band because
everyone is asleep...

My other conclusion,  based on experience during the last seven years of
operating 160 from VK6, is that conditions into Eu and South America at
this time of year are often better in the period between one hour and a
half an hour before VK6 sunrise than in the usual fifteen minutes before
VK6 sunrise.

Next weekend for the South Pacific Pacific test, I shall be sure to be
looking for Europe between 2215Z and 2245Z, for those who can manage to
stay awake.  The Eu QRM level should be well down - no Eu contest! - so if
the conditions are anything like today, Eu QSOs should be easily possible.

Vy 73,

Steve, VK6VZ