Topband: Touch Lamp

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Touch Lamp
From: sire@iinet.net.au (Steve Ireland)
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 20:48:55 +0800
At 02:32 PM 14/07/2002 +1200, you wrote:
>Hi Guys,
>
>I have a particular problem that some of you may be able to help with.  As
I have mentioned to one or two of you in personal e-mails, the reason why I
have been rather quiet on Topband is neighbour related.  I have a neighbour
who has a touch lamp of which he is particularly fond.  You may have seen
the type - you touch the base and it comes on with a dull glow, with
further touches increases its brightness, and finally switches off.

 SNIP

>Does anyone know of either, an add-on solution to this type of problem or,
a similar type of lamp with an EMC rating that covers Topband E-fields?  I
am prepared to buy a new lamp to give my neighbour as a gesture of good
will, but must of course be careful about any safety aspects if I undertake
any modifications myself.

>73, Greg, ZL3IX

VK6VZ replied:

G'day Greg

A couple of years ago, I had the misfortune to have a similar problem with
a neighbour.  The lamps in question - two bedside ones - used to go berserk
every time I went on 160m...waking up my neighbours at 5am or so...

Nothing I did to the lamp in the way of wrapping the mains lead around
ferrites, etc, solved the problem.

The problem was simply solved by telling my neighbours very regretfully
that this problem was inherent with the tyoe of lamp they had and offering
to swap their lamps for some new conventional ones of their choice.  They
bought the lamps they wanted, I paid for them and gave their old lamps to a
poverty-stricken friend of mine who had just moved into a new house.
Everyone was happy.

Mind you, my neighbours are very sensible people, who restore old french
and belgian cars.  They know I don't complain about their car bodies and
occasional love (only once or twice a year) of playing Johnny Cash records
on their verandah at around midnight.

Hopefully you have similarly nice neighbours who live and let live.

Vy 73,

Steve, VK6VZ