Topband: Collins R390 and 75A4 on 160m

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Collins R390 and 75A4 on 160m
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 16:30:44 -0400
> I have a 1955-vintage Collins R390 here and am curious about whether
> anyone on the reflector has done any comparisons on 160m with the 75A4
> - or what anyone who has a R390 thinks of its performance on 160m.

I have both early and late R390's (the late is a 390A). That does not
make me an expert, but at least I have looked carefully at the two
units.

Neither is all that good for BDR or IM3DR, and both are pretty poor
on narrow selectivity. The filters are so poor, it would be nearly
impossible to do a really narrow test.

The R390A is the better of the two, since in the narrowest positions
it uses a 2kHz mechanical filter. As I recall, the 390A has 16,8, 4
and 2 kHz mechanical filters reasonably close to the low IF
mixer...but unfortunately has two RF amps and other many stages that
cause problems ahead of the filters.

Unfortunately the R390A has only a single pole crystal way back in
the IF chain to do the less than 2kHz stuff, so the filter skirts are
horrid. The R390, with only L/C filtering is even worse. Both have
more filter blow by than my IC706!

My R390 sits on the AM radio band, so I can listen to AM BC while
working. If it wasn't so heavy, I'd throw it in the attic of my barn
with all the other things I'll never use. My opinion, after trying to
do a IM and blocking test, is it is junk compared to almost any
transceiver you can buy today.

I don't have a 75A4, but I wasted a lot of time converting a 75S3 to
160. It is better than the R390A, but not by much. The 32S3
transmitter is very clean.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com