Topband: Mongolia Expedition

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Mongolia Expedition
From: K4ZW@Staffnet.com (Ken Claerbout)
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 00:32:19 -0000
  Our September 7 departure date is quickly approaching.  The way things are
going, Karl K4YT and I should have no problem filling up almost 400 pounds
of our baggage allowance.  I'm trying to pre-fab as much as possible so that
we can hit the ground running and maximize our time in country.  The latest
weather reports from JT1BG indicate that Mongolia is also experiencing hot
temperatures, in the 90's (34 C), and very dry conditions with some fires in
the countryside.  I sure hope it cools off before we get there.
   Most of you no doubt realize that the dates for this trip were not picked
with lowband conditions as the primary focus.  This is mostly a working
DX-pedition.  I wanted to get over there after the summer heat but before
the snow starts flying.  I also have some personal things going on that
factored into the timing.
   Karl and I will overnight in Seoul and then fly up to Ulaanbaatar on
Monday, September 9.  (anyone needing to overnight in Seoul should really
check out the transit hotel at Incheon airport!)  We depart Mongolia on
September 15.  For those of you who might have conditions at that time of
the year, we will do what we can to get on and hand out some QSO's.  I also
plan to talk with JT1CO about the upcoming lowband season and encourage him
to spend some extra time on Topband.
   As I said when I was over there in November, this is a work in progress.
It's no different than the rest of us who build up our own stations over
time.  I'm quite hopeful that with improved conditions and continued station
enhancements, there will be plenty of zone 23 activity from Mongolia this
coming season.  Stay tuned!

73
Ken K4ZW