Topband: Silent Feedline for RX antennas

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Silent Feedline for RX antennas
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 07:20:16 -0400
> The single coax shield with twin center conductors would be excellent,
> if available.  A multitude of problems now faced with the darn
> unbalanced feedlines would be solved.  Conversion from balanced to
> unbalanced, impedance matching & further isolation, would all be
> accomplished right at the receiver with a single toroid transformer.
> This would reduce the length of unbalanced line in the system to a few
> feet, from transformer to receiver, and eliminate the inherent receive
> problems that come with it.

Actually using fully balanced line won't fix any problem, the
problems will remain and likely increase significantly.

The problem with our antennas and feedlines are that they are never
completely perfectly balanced, or perfectly unbalanced.

Perfectly unbalanced requires exactly equal and opposite currents,
with one terminal common mode impedance zero and the other terminal
at the load impedance value. This means one terminal has zero voltage
to the rest of the world, and the other has the full feedline voltage
while currents flowing into and out of each terminal are equal and
opposite. An example of this is a monopole with the feedline exiting
below an infinite zero ohm impedance groundplane.

The standard 4-radial groundplane has considerable radiation from the
feedline unless the feedline shield presents a very high common mode
impedance, because the antenna is not perfectly UNbalanced with a
poor four radial ground...even when many wavelengths above earth.

On the other extreme perfectly balanced requires exactly equal common
mode impedances, exactly equal (and opposite phase) terminal
voltages, and exactly equal and opposite phase currents into each
terminal of the feeder and antenna. Most antennas won't come close to
that condition either.

The Flag or Pennant would be a good example of antennas we call
balanced that are really in that limbo land between balanced and
unbalanced, like the groundplane antenna. In the Flag or Pennant, one
side of the antenna is closer to earth and other objects than the
other side. That means the common mode impedance of each antenna
terminal is different.

Using a shielded balanced line would most likely actually make things
much worse than using a standard unbalanced feed system with an
isolated secondary and primary winding in a transformer at the
feedpoint.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com