Topband: Re: Ground screen

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Re: Ground screen
From: k2hk@arrl.net (Howard Klein)
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 14:55:46 +0000
Bill wrote:
Hello Howard.  Thanks for the info.
Did you connect the various sections of fence together?
Do you have any before and after comparisons regarding the ground
screen?

Howard:

Bill,
I did connect the sections by using similiar material (galvanized, welded
fencing) and tying them together tightly with a fencing plier (or any plier
that gives adequate leverage) to get tight linking. I did make resistance
measure measurements but did not write them down. I found there was a
lowered resistance, greater bandwidth and subjectively got out better. Not
very scientific but one does get to know what is expected over a period of
time. The only concern as reported by some is the eventual corrosion of the
material. I see no sign of change in a little over a year. Later in the Fall
I will inspect again (when is growth is gone). If necessary and if possible
I will spray with galvanizing paint.  Bob Sherwood, has  done some
experimenting with ground screens and was helpful in getting me started.
This is the source of a Topband archive.
http://lists.contesting.com/_topband/2001-September/013378.html. A good
place to begin.

Howard..K2HK
Howard..K2HK