Topband: Bi-directional prop

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Bi-directional prop
From: ford@cmgate.com (Ford Peterson)
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 23:40:34 -0500
I'm a strong believer in the station hearing me as well as I hear him.
Reciprocity in propagation seems to be the norm.

I've got a new set of antennas this year on 160M/80M  A 50' rohn 25G with
top loading (a vacuum relay at the top switches one of two single loading
wires to form an inverted L.  Separate shunt and loading arrangements on
both bands.

The last few nights, the reports through polar paths are consistantly
stronger than what I am hearing on my end.  My noise floor is near S0 when
the local power lines are not arching over.  Path to Panama were consistant
with the reciprocity principle.  Polar paths were more "one way."  Finland,
Sweden, and Germany all reported better signals than what I am hearing with
similar power on both ends.

Is it propagation or some anomoly with my new antennas?

Ford-N0FP
ford@cmgate.com